Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A Wide Range of Learners

I currently teach high school students who are visually impaired. Some of my students are blind and some have low vision. They use Braille or large print materials. My students also have a varying range of cognitive abilities. Some have gone on to four year colleges like UC-Berkeley while others are not on a diploma track and will attend a transition program for independent living skills after high school. Some of my students are in my class for instruction in high school level math, science, or spanish. Some are there for basic reading and math skills. Others are there for a study skills period to get help with other academic classes.

The wide range of eyesight and cognitive abilities forces me to get creative with my teaching. With the help of a paraprofessional, I often have to teach two totally separate lessons in the same one hour class period. Some things that I do:

- Teach an Algebra lesson to two students. Have them work together on some skills practice while I work on Braille instruction with another student.

- Create a standards-based game that my aide can play with 2-3 students, while I am teaching a lesson to other students.

- When the higher achieving students have some free time, I like to have them help the others with their work.

- I use many tactile objects and shapes so that my students can have access to visual materials used by their typically developing peers.

The diversity in the classroom is challenging, but also invigorating. Every day is different and new. While we have many set routines, the student learn to "go with the flow" and they never know what to expect, keeping them engaged with the lesson that may be coming their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment