Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Kahoot! in the Classroom

I currently teach in a classroom with visually impaired high school students. When I taught sighted students, the class loved to use a game website called Kahoot! I can use it in my current classroom with some student that have some vision and the others use it with a sighted partner or aide.

Kahoot! is a great tool to use at the beginning or end of a lesson. It can gauge prior knowledge before a lesson is given. It can also be used as a great review tool at the end of a lesson or before an exam. The website is easy to use to create a multiple choice game. Students are able to use their own electronic devices (smart phones, tablets, laptops, etc.) so that everyone can participate. Students answer each question and can earn points for answering both quickly and correctly. The correct answer and the leaders of the game can be shown on the smart board or screen. The student choose a username, so they can be anonymous to everyone but the teacher and themselves.

While I don't recommend using it every day, Kahoot! is a great tool to keep students engaged and motivated. I caution against using it too much. I always like to follow the rule of "leave them wanting more..."

No comments:

Post a Comment